Hear Ye! Hear Ye! The Great Ruminations of a Very Critical and Curious Woman in Washington DC!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mandalay Madness


So, Mandalay Restaurant & Cafe in Silver Spring is supposed to be THE place to eat Asian, particularly Burmese food.
If only I could have found out.

We went there last night (Tues.) and arrived at 9:27.
I know this because my car clock read 9:30, and it is 2-3 minutes fast.
We parked RIGHT in front of the door, and walked in salivating.

We were greeted by a waitress that told us that "The store is closed." (store?)

I said, "Oh, I thought you closed at 10:00."

She said, "Yeah, we do, but if we feed you now, you might stay past 10."

I said,"Okay, well, when is the latest we can come here and get service?"

"9:25," She said.

Wow, so if we would have walked in the door 120 seconds earlier, we would have been treated like human beings?
Hmmm. Nice.

I've never in my life been to a restaurant that posted a closing time 35 minutes after the ACTUAL closing time.
AND
What do they do with the customers that ARE there at 10:00- violently kick them out the door? --A point made by my hungry husband.

Who does this?

We've all overstayed at restaurants a few minutes, and we've all witnessed how a good waitress can politely suggest that the kitchen is closing (hint hint) so any orders must be put in immediately, etc.

Here's the funny part:

We left (rejecting her offer to order takeout from her!) and drove around Silver Spring for about 10 minutes looking for another restaurant. We found a place called Oriental East (I think?) and decided to eat there.

We ordered an appitizer, food, and beer, and the service was SO GOOD and SO FAST, that we were totally finished at 10:00 (closing time)-- and were in our car by 10:07. Nobody there said a word to us about us being there at 10:00.

So somehow, we managed to drive to a new place, eat, chat, relax, and still be done by 10.

Maybe Mandalay is SO slow that they knew it would be impossible to feed 2 people in under 35 minutes.

I'm really sad that they did this to me, cause now I can never go there.

So, if you love the place, I don't want to hear anything about it, cause I'll only be jealous.

-Shorty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home